Do you want to earn some money from your old mobile or iPod? Well now it is even easier. We have added a handy widget from our friends at RecycleYourGadget to GadgetStylist.com. What does this mean for you? If you have a mobile or iPod you want to sell, simply select the make and model, and recycleyourgadget will show you where you will find the best price for it, saving you all that time of unnecessary research.
The great thing about it is, if you don’t like the prices that are offered to you, you can simply walk away. It is entirely up to what the outcome is.
Get cash for your iPod or mobile with Recycle Your Gadget
Many of us are guilty of having mobile phones lying dormant in the back of our drawers. Why collect them, for those ‘just in case’ moments? By recycling your old gadget, not only are you being responsible for the safe disposal of your old gadget, but you can also earn a bit of money from it too.
If you have an old mobile you want to get rid off, try out RecycleYour Gadget… what have you got to lose? You never know, you may just be surprised by how much your mobile is worth.
Own an iPhone but have no idea how to upgrade to iOS5? Read on…
One thing that always astounds me is how many iPhone users don’t know how to upgrade to the latest version of the iPhone operating system – also known as iOS. I wont publically name any names here but you all know who you are!
iOS 5 includes a host of new features including iMessages, Notification Centre, Reminders and PC Free updates
Apple peridocially update iOS, the operating system for iPhones and iPads. There is normally one large release per year and today is the launch of the long awaited iOS5 – the 5th major incarnation of the ground breaking mobile device software. Apple will also release what’s know in the tech world as ‘point releases’, minor releases that make less significant improvements and to incorporate bug fixes to the software. iOS4.3.5 was the final point release before iOS 5.
The best thing is that iOS updates are now FREE – so why would you not want to get new features and better, more stable software for your iDevice when it costs you nothing but your time?
The great thing about iOS5 is that it promises to make updating your iPhone or iPad operating system much easier, updating itself over a WiFi connection automatically – but in order to enable this for your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 you will need to upgrade to iOS 5 via your Mac or PC.
Don’t be scared! It’s very easy to do. Here’s my dummies guide:
Dummies Guide to upgrading your iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone to iOS5
- Connect your iPhone/iPad to the PC or Mac which you normally to sync music or which you used to set-up your phone via the white USB cable that doubles as your charger lead.
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac.
- You should see the name of your iPhone/iPad in the left column underneath the heading Devices. Click on the entry for your iPhone/iPad.
- Make sure you are on the ‘Summary’ tab (check at the top of the iTunes main window).
- Click on the large ‘Check for Update’ button and wait for it to run it’s checks.
- Click to ‘download and install’ the new software and leave your PC or Mac to it. This step will probably take a long while and depends on the speed of your broadband provider.
- Follow the onscreen prompts for passwords and accepting any t’s & c’s.
- Bob’s your Uncle, Fanny’s your Aunt and your iPhone now has iOS 5!
I told you it was easy…
It’s worth noting that the iPhone 3GS update to iOS5 may not be available on October 12th 2011 but we’ll have to wait and see.
If you have any further tips please add a comment below!
Looking for the best iPad SIM Only data plan to get the most out of your amazing new Apple iPad?
Most of the UK’s major mobile operators are now offering special iPad data plans, complete with the new micro-SIM card which is essential for the iPad and iPhone 4.
Mobile operator Three are offering an iPad data plan that’s only £7.50 a month for 1GB of data.
We’ve put together a simple comparison table of all the best offers along with some tips for choosing the best deal on a dedicated page.
The iPad is flying out of the shops and on the whole it seems to be a hit. However, as with the iPhone one issue that seems to be bugging people is the battery life, or lack of it. Apple state it should last for 9 – 10 hours (depending on whether you are using 3G,) but when you are using it intensively for browsing and movie watching the battery life apparently disappears a lot quicker.
So, what can you do to increase the battery life of your iPad.
- Lithium batteries, like those used in the iPad and all mobile phones, are sensitive to temperature so you can help by making sure that you don’t leave it in very hot or cold environments such as cars on a sunny day, or … in the freezer!
- Secondly, when it comes to lithium batteries you should always give them ‘regular exercise’ – a once monthly full charge and de-charge as suggested by Apple. Next – the settings within the device itself.
- Much can be done to reduce the use of the battery by changing your settings. For instance if you go in to the settings and turn off auto brightness and reduce the levels of the screen then you will reduce the amount of battery used there.
- Reducing the amount of services you have switched on is also important to increasing the batteries life span. When you are not using Wi-Fi, 3g, location services, push notifications, push mail, or data fetching, turning them off will save your battery. All of these services require power, even when they’re running invisibly in the background as they constantly connect or re-connect to the internet and this will drain your battery. I regularly switch off the 3G and Wi Fi on my iPhone if I know I need to make my battery last for a big night out when my battery is half gone.
- You could also get an external battery such as the ‘New Trent’ Backup Battery. It’s only £45 and it makes a lot of sense if you are planning on using your iPad for long periods of time such as keeping the kids (or yourself) entertained on a long flight. It has enough juice to double the length of your devices battery and doesn’t look too bad.
Thanks to the guys at iPad cases and iPhone 4 cases specialists cleverkit.com for helping out with these tips.
Apple have released the new iPhone software – iOS 4. This is a substantial improvement to the old software and best of all it’s free! But do you know how to download iOS 4 onto your iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPod Touch?
Will iOS 4 work on my iPhone or iPod Touch?
iOS 4 is available for:
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (when launched)
- iPod touch second generation
- iPod touch third generation
Not all features will work on all products but it will provide lots of new – and free! – features to the phones listed above.
How do I get iOS 4?
Don’t know how to update to iOS 4?
- Download the latest version of iTunes on to the Mac or PC you used to install or last update your iPhone.
- Plug your iPhone into to the computer via the USB connector.
- Click on the iPhone or iPod Touch icon in the list on the left.
- Select the Summary tab and then click the ‘Check for Update’ button.
- Follow the simple instructions and within 30 minutes it’s all done!
Don’t worry – it’s all straightforward and pretty easy to do. Just allow a bit of time to download the software from the internet and then install it on your iPhone.
Please leave a comment below to tell us what you think of iOS 4 and to leave your own tips