Own an iPhone but have no idea how to upgrade to iOS5? Read on…
One thing that always astounds me is how many iPhone users don’t know how to upgrade to the latest version of the iPhone operating system – also known as iOS. I wont publically name any names here but you all know who you are!
Apple peridocially update iOS, the operating system for iPhones and iPads. There is normally one large release per year and today is the launch of the long awaited iOS5 – the 5th major incarnation of the ground breaking mobile device software. Apple will also release what’s know in the tech world as ‘point releases’, minor releases that make less significant improvements and to incorporate bug fixes to the software. iOS4.3.5 was the final point release before iOS 5.
The best thing is that iOS updates are now FREE – so why would you not want to get new features and better, more stable software for your iDevice when it costs you nothing but your time?
The great thing about iOS5 is that it promises to make updating your iPhone or iPad operating system much easier, updating itself over a WiFi connection automatically – but in order to enable this for your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 you will need to upgrade to iOS 5 via your Mac or PC.
Don’t be scared! It’s very easy to do. Here’s my dummies guide:
Dummies Guide to upgrading your iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone to iOS5
- Connect your iPhone/iPad to the PC or Mac which you normally to sync music or which you used to set-up your phone via the white USB cable that doubles as your charger lead.
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac.
- You should see the name of your iPhone/iPad in the left column underneath the heading Devices. Click on the entry for your iPhone/iPad.
- Make sure you are on the ‘Summary’ tab (check at the top of the iTunes main window).
- Click on the large ‘Check for Update’ button and wait for it to run it’s checks.
- Click to ‘download and install’ the new software and leave your PC or Mac to it. This step will probably take a long while and depends on the speed of your broadband provider.
- Follow the onscreen prompts for passwords and accepting any t’s & c’s.
- Bob’s your Uncle, Fanny’s your Aunt and your iPhone now has iOS 5!
I told you it was easy…
It’s worth noting that the iPhone 3GS update to iOS5 may not be available on October 12th 2011 but we’ll have to wait and see.
If you have any further tips please add a comment below!